In a further statement, he said “great progress had been made” and the council had “moved at a pace which is comfortable with the survivors”.
Government minister Rishi Sunak, who also spoke at the debate, praised the council’s “openness to scrutiny”.
The junior communities and local government minister praised the work being done by the authority to support victims, but added: “They need to properly and expeditiously deliver on it and provide answers and justice for the survivors.”
Telford and Wrekin Council said the organisation of the inquiry is now in the hands of law firm Eversheds Sutherland.
Earlier this week, the authority reported the Survivors’ Group had welcomed the timeframe for the inquiry.
It said they agreed it was more important to ensure it wasn’t “rushed” and that time was taken to “ensure it provides the answers survivors and their families are looking for”.
A report from Eversheds said it had met with survivors and set up IT and communications systems for the inquiry since being formally appointed on January 22.